community recipe added May 8, 2012 2:03:04 PM byBlade
Planning on giving this a try soon. Might add Quorn to the mix. Read More...
Source Keep It Simple Foods
Preparation TimeAbout 30-40 minutes
|1/2 teaspoon||baking powder|
|6 cups||vegetable broth||(or 6 cups water and 1 vegetable bouillon cube)|
1. First, make the dough. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, milk, and 1 teaspoon salt. Combine until the dough forms a ball. Transfer to a floured work surface. Use a floured rolling pin to roll out the dough. Cut into 2 inch squares using a knife, pastry cutter or pizza cutter.
2. Next, get started on the broth. In a stock pot, heat the butter, onions, carrots and celery. Cook for a few minutes until the onions are translucent and the veggies slightly tender.
3. Next, add the remaining salt and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil. Then, drop in the dough squares one at a time. Add in any remaining excess flour and dough bits as well.
4. Allow to boil for about 20 minutes, until the dough begins to form plump, soft dumplings and the broth gets thick and creamy. Test with a fork to be sure the dough is cooked through before serving.
5. Serve with a bit of fresh cracked pepper.