recipe added Sep 26, 2010 3:12:03 AM byOlive to Cook
Source Olive to Cook
|2 hearts or 1 large head||romain lettuce|
|1/2 large or 1 small||red onion|
|1 cup||parmesan cheese|
|2 slices||wheat bread|
|Olive to Cook's, see recipe 189||Garlic Lemon Dressing|
1. Wash and dry romaine leaves. Make sure leaves are very dry; I recommend using a salad spinner. Slice 1/2 of large red onion or 1 small red onion into very thin half-moon slices. If you dislike the strength of raw onion, soak slices in an ice bath for 10-20 minutes to cut their potency.
2. Toast slices of sandwich bread and allow to cool at room temperature. Set aside.
3. You will build 3 layers for the salad. Each layer consists of:
1/3 of romaine leaves, torn into bite-size pieces;
1/3 of sliced red onion;
A generous sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese;
Dashes of salt & pepper.
4. Once complete, cover and chill in fridge until you're ready to serve. Place salad bowls/plates in freezer (optional).
5. When ready to serve, remove salad from fridge and tear toasted sandwich bread into bite-size pieces on top. Shake lemon garlic dressing well to combine. Pour on top of salad, toss, and serve into chilled salad bowls.