community recipe added Jul 4, 2011 5:08:37 PM byJinx
Easy to make, and absolutely delicious!
Source McCall's Cookbook
Serves1 Pie, or 8 servings
|1 1/2 cups||sugar|
|4-5 cups||rhubarb||sliced into chunks|
|1 tablespoon||orange zest||optional|
|4-5 tablespoons||ice water|
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. To make filling, combine flour and sugar, and mix with rhubarb in a large bowl. Set aside.
3. To make crust, combine flour and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender (or two forks). Add sugar and orange zest if desired. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, until pastry is just moist enough to stay together.
4. Divide pastry in half, and roll first half out in between two sheets of wax paper. Line pie plate with rolled out pastry, and add filling. Dot with butter, then roll out second half of pastry and cover. Crimp the edges and make steam slits in crust.
5. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.