community recipe added Apr 22, 2012 12:05:03 AM bymanofmeat
Do you like a crispy skin, roasted chicken? Of course you do (even vegans). Here's simply how it's done.
Source Heavily Influenced by Thomas Keller
Preparation TimeOne Hour
|2 Big Pinches||kosher salt|
|8-10 Sprigs||fresh thyme|
|1||Raw Chicken about 3-5lb (1300-2200g)|
|~1/2 Tablespoon||Fresh Cracked Pepper|
1. Preheat oven to 425F or 220C
2. Remove giblets and do with them as you please. (Fry liver and save the rest for broth)
3. Wash bird thoroughly and then dry completely. Get in there with a few paper towels and make sure the skin is dry to ensure crispiness.
4. Put thyme in cavity then salt and pepper the inside and outside of the bird.
5. Truss Bird.
6. Stick in oven safe pan (cast iron preferred) and put into oven.
7. Check at 40min for smaller birds and 50 for larger. Remove when breast meat is 160F or 71C.
8. Let rest 5-10 minutes then consume.