recipe added Jan 7, 2011 3:48:50 PM byzibi
Although there is no snow on the ground here, it is still winter and I was craving fruit. So as a treat we bought some pomegranates. Then I wondered “Could pomegranate chicken work in the slow cooker?” This recipe did. Grab some pomegranates while they’re available and give this recipe a shot! Read More...
Source Fresh Slowcooking
|1 tsp||grated lemon rind|
|1 1/2 tbsp||ground cinnamon|
|3 tbsp||ground cumin||(freshly)|
|4 lbs||skinless chicken pieces|
|2 tbsp||fresh cilantro||chopped|
|1 1/2 cups||walnuts||toasted|
|3 tbsp||lemon juice|
|2 cups||chicken broth|
|1/2 tsp||black pepper|
|1 1/2 cups||pomegranate seeds and juice||(reserve some seeds for garnish)|
|2 tsp||chili powder|
|1/2 tsp||ground turmeric|
1. Toast walnuts in the skillet then transfer to a plate.
2. Melt butter until foam subsides. Pat chicken dry and brown all sides of the chicken turning only once. Transfer to slow cooker.
3. Add onions to the skillet and cook over low to medium heat, until golden. Make sure to stir and scrape up the brown bits. About 10 minutes.
4. Stir in the cumin, cinnamon, turmeric and chili powder.
5. Stir in the pomegranate seeds and juice, tomato, broth, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and molasses.
6. Pour sauce over chicken in the slow cooker. Cook for 5 hours on low.
7. Transfer chicken pieces to plates, pour sauce over top and sprinkle with fresh pomegranate seeds and cilantro.